You do not need to feel alone – talk to any one of our helpline professionals.
We are here to help guide and support you through any choice you need to make.
Eight essentials for a newborn
Congratulations, you’re officially a parent! Do you have everything that you need to care for your newborn baby properly? If not, don’t worry, here’s a list of newborn baby essentials that you need to keep your baby warm, safe and clean.
Essentials needed to care for your newborn baby
- Nappies: This should be a no-brainer, but your baby is going to poop…a lot. So, whether you’ve chosen to go the disposable or cloth route, it’s imperative that you have a plentiful supply. Also, take into consideration that babies grow quickly and so it’s a good idea to invest in different sizes, so they are available when you need them.
- Swaddle cloths: Babies find swaddling comfortable and soothing. The best cloths should be generously sized and be able to stretch. It’s worthwhile to have more than one, so you don’t find yourself without any on laundry days. Three swaddle cloths are recommended.
- Onesies: This baby body suit should be a staple of your infant’s wardrobe. Benefits of onesies: they keep the nappy secure, have an inner layer that will ensure your baby stays warm. Also, they have flaps on the shoulders which allow you to pull the onesie down over their chest and legs, not over their head if there is a nappy emergency.
- Baby carrier/pram: A first-rate, comfortable baby carrier allows you to keep your baby with you and still have the freedom to use both hands, much like swaddling blankets, ensuring that your baby will be comfy and relaxed.
- Baby car seat: Taking your baby in the car for the first time can be a daunting experience, and that’s why it’s essential that you invest in a superior-quality baby car seat that keeps your baby secure and comfortable.
- Nipple cream: Breastfeeding should be a positive experience – you’re providing essential nutrition for your baby. However, sore and chapped nipples may occur if you don’t use a high-quality nipple cream. Speak to your pharmacist about which one will suit you best.
- Burping cloths: It doesn’t matter whether you’re breast or formula feeding, some of it is going to be brought back up. Stock up on muslin burping cloths so that you remain clean and dry.
- Hooded baby towel: Babies have soft skin, and so it’s vital that you use the most delicate fabrics that are antibacterial, anti-fungal and hypoallergenic. Make sure that your baby’s skin is always protected.
CONFIDENTIALITY. We guarantee your rights to confidentiality during your pregnancy.
All personal information submitted remains private and confidential.
Ask a question
Your email address will remain confidential. Required fields are marked.