New parents: Keeping your baby safe
The wellbeing of your child is your primary concern. In this article, we’re giving you essential safety information to ensure that your baby is protected at all times.
When you bathe your baby, it’s vital that you understand that a baby’s skin is much softer and thinner than an adult. Here are some tips to help you during bath time.
- Don’t ever fill a bath with hot water first. Make sure that you keep your baby away from the bath water until it’s the correct temperature.
- Make sure that you test the water temperature with your wrist and elbow before you put your baby in the bath. It should be comfortably warm. If your skin turns a reddish colour when you place your elbow in, the water is far too hot for a baby’s skin.
How to prevent choking
- It’s very easy for babies to choke, even on milk. They are curious by nature and may be tempted to put small objects in their mouths, which could cause choking.
- Always hold the baby’s bottle while they’re feeding him/her.
- Keep small objects out of reaches such as buttons, coins and small toy parts.
- Once your baby has started on solid food, always cut it up into tiny pieces because babies can choke on something such as a small piece of soft fruit.
Please ensure that you follow these baby safety tips. The wellbeing of your baby is priority number one. If you need any more information about baby care, visit your nearest clinic, and a medical professional will be able to help you.
Source: Marie Stopes South Africa (Safe Abortion and Post Abortion Family Planning)
CONFIDENTIALITY. We guarantee your rights to confidentiality during your pregnancy.
All personal information submitted remains private and confidential.
Ask a question
Your email address will remain confidential. Required fields are marked.